Based on our class discussion, here is the proposed evaluation heuristic. I am leaving up the heuristic from Fall 2011 for your personal growth and edification.
Fall 2013: Writing for New Media
- To what extent does this project convey a clear message?
- Does this project have a substantive, controlling idea?
Form and Content
- Do the project’s structural or formal elements serve the conceptual core in an effective and efficient manner?
- Are the project’s design decisions deliberate, controlled, and defensible?
- Is the project accessible and usable under reasonable circumstances?
- To what extent does it engage the intended audience?
- Does the project successfully and ethically integrate borrowed information?
FALL 2011: Writing for New Media
- Does the media’s content intentionally flow well?
- Is the purpose coherent and easily understood?
- Is there clear distinction and organization between separate elements?
- Are the elements concise, without too much overlap?
- Is there a need for different perspectives, depending on assignment parameters?
Ethics & Responsible Use
- Is the work original?
- Is the individual credible with his/her use of borrowed information? (Cited information inserted in end-of-video credit roll)
- Do the media generate a thought-provoking reaction?
- Is the media used as a method of connecting human beings to a shared experience?
- Do the media appeal to a certain demographic or niche audience?
- Is the media meant to be informational, entertaining, persuasive, or argumentative?
- Do the media only use humans or are inanimate objects, animals, etc. part of the presentation?
- How are the characters portrayed? Are there stereotypes present?
- Can the audience explore issues more in-depth?
- Is there some kind of evaluation device, either a comments box or poll for information exchange?
- Do the media tell a story?
- Is the story thought-provoking or entertaining?
- How does the author use the new media to convey a message or drive home a point?
- Are the author’s rhetorical strategies actually effective in conveying a point or message?
- Is the audience intrigued by layout/design?
- How do visual and audio cues enhance the user’s experience?
- Is the message both memorable and/or enjoyable?
- Can audio and/or text be easily heard/understood both verbally and non-verbally?
- Is the picture quality clear?
*Exceptional/Exemplary Category: (if you want to go above and beyond)*
- Do the media contribute to the exchanging of open ideas and freedom of expression, without infringing on basic moral boundaries?
- Is the media a means of self-aggrandizement or is used as a method of connecting human beings to a shared experience?
- Does the media creation make any contributions to societal or cultural thought?
- If it is a web article or text, can readers view more similar items/pieces by the same author?